In this article, we are going to look at how to set up a Donation Product - a great way to build customer relationships, generate extra revenue or fund capital investment for your organisation.
In Ticketsolve, Donation Products can be set up with Gift Aid so donations are effectively increased by 25%. You can set up Donations in a number of a ways:
- As a donation link on your site.
- As a Prompt which will encourage customers to donate during the purchase journey.
- Recommendation for specific events (e.g., linking a specific Donation Product to specific event).
This article is split into two sections:
Creating a Donation Product
Go to Manage > Product
Click Add New + and fill in the details.
1. Product type: Select Donation product.
2. Name the Donation e.g., 'Support Us' or 'Make a Donation'.
3. Comment: This text is displayed online and gives extra information about the donation. If you don't charge your customer a booking fee, you should definitely highlight this for customers.
4. Active product? and Can be sold?: Set toggle to on (blue).
5. Price: Enter a default donation amount.
6. Allow price override?:Set toggle to on (blue)
7. Apply tax?: Set toggle to on (blue) if applicable.
8. Donation prices: You can add or search multiple donation amounts so customers can alter how much they would like to donate. Amounts should be separated by commas, e.g., 1, 2, 5, 10, 25.
Research has shown that suggesting amounts leads to an increase in overall donations, as well as as an increase in donation amounts versus asking people to add a donation amount themselves.
9. Customer declaration: For UK based donations, enter the Gift Aid Declaration which customers can agree to if they would like to add Gift Aid to their donation.
- Add the following tag to order if above customer declaration is agreed upon...: Add a tag, (i.e.,'giftaid') so that you can report on Gift Aid donations. If you do not add a tag, you will not be able to report on Gift Aid.
10. Priority: Set the Priority (99 being the highest and 0 being the lowest) to set the order multiple Donation products are displayed (higher numbers displayed first).
11. Permit printed receipt?: Set toggle on (blue) or off as needed.
12. Disable online sales?: Set toggle on (blue) to disable online sales or leave as is.
13. Assign to program: - Select from the dropdown or leave it as No Program.
14. Postable?: Set toggle on (blue) and add Weight.
15. Highlight colour: Add highlight colour to differentiate your Donation Products.
16. Tags: Add tags (e.g., 'donation') for Reporting and Prompts (more on Prompts below).
17. Click Add.
Customer view of online donation appeal
Adding the 'prompt' tag to Donation Products will display the donation appeal during the ticket purchase process, making it easy for customers to donate. Once a customer adds tickets to the Cart, they will be prompted to add a donation as part of the checkout process and can pay for their donation and tickets in one transaction.
Prompt tag options
There are several ways that you can use Tags to configure when and where your Donation Product will appear. You can use any number of tags to get the configuration you need.
Go to the Donation Product details page you need (Manage > Products > [Name of Donation Product].
In the Tags field you can add the following tags:
1. 'prompt' displays the Donation at checkout for all shows and events.
2. 'prompt_filter:[show_tag]' displays the Donation at checkout with specific shows only. The 'show_tag' should be the tag created on the Show details page, e.g., 'prompt_filter:comedyshowcase'.
3. 'skip_listing' prevents Donation product from listing on the general Donation page of your Ticketsolve pages.
On the Show or Product details page:
Add 'no_prompt_donations' tag in the Tag field to stop the Donation from prompting with specific shows or products. This tag will exclude those shows and products, but prompt the Donation with all other shows and products.
Editing text on the online donation prompt page
To edit the title and detail text that displays on the online donation prompt page:
Go to Settings > Public Website Snippets
In the Filter snippets search box search for:
1. "Public website cart donations agreement html." Add any text in the text box that you wish to display on the online donation prompt page.
2. "Public website donations heading." Add a title in the text box to display online. For example, <h1>We Need Your Help!</h1>
Want to know more?
If you'd like to learn more about how to run your own fundraising campaign through Ticketsolve, take a look at our Focus on Fundraising Academy session